Monday, September 25, 2017

Sonos Sub


I purchased my Sonos Playbase a few months ago and it drastically improved on the sound of my TV speakers but I still felt it was a little weak on bass.  Even though the Playbase has a built in subwoofer port I felt I was just not getting the lows that I was used to with my old home theater.

I demoed the playbase and sub a few times and knew the sub would make the difference I was looking for but the $700 price tag was really making me hesitate.  I could get similar subs for around $250 but I have bought into the Sonos ecosystem so I knew I has to pull the trigger.  Then I got an email from Sonos that they were having a 15% off sale and that tipped the scales for me.

I picked up the Sub a few weeks ago and I have to say I am pretty happy with the purchase.  Is it worth $700?  That is debatable but for me to be truly happy with my home theater system it was what I needed.

Setup of course was very simple.  I just unboxed the sub, plugged it in, added the sub to my room, synced it, ran through TruePlay and I was up and running in about 10 minutes.  The sub really adds a lot of depth to music.  The room I have mu home theater in is about 25' x 25' with cathedral ceiling so it is a lot of space to fill with sound.  The PlayBase and Sub are up to the task.  But where it really shines is movies.  The explosions can now be felt but it feels to be like a more natural low rather than sound that you would get from a cheaper Subwoofer.  Even my 10 year old daughter commented on how much more fun it was to watch Beauty and the Beast with all the extra rumbling and growling.

I've yet to watch a movie to really test it.  I may wait until I am home alone and play Saving Private Ryan at good volume to not disturb the wife and kids.  Overall pretty happy with the purchase I am still struggling a bit with the price but the 15% off makes it a little more palatable.

Next on my Sonos wish list is probably going to be a Play 1 for my office but I think I may wait a bit as I am reading rumors that Sonos will be releasing a new speaker with integrated microphone and voice control.  Sound pretty interesting....

Update:  My sub died.  This is the second sonos product that has died on me too soon.  No lights, would not turn on, nothing.  Makes me worried about the QC of these product but maybe 5 years is what you get out of smart products.   I quick search on the sonos message boards and it seems I am not the only one with this issue.  I do feel like the price you pay for Sonos products, they should last at least 10 years.  When my playbase died, it was just out of the warranty period so they sent me a new unit,  I was not expecting the same with a 4 year old product but they did give me about a 45% discount on the purchase of a new sub.  So I would consider that pretty good customer service, although I do have some concerns moving forward about quality and reliability but for me there is no real alternative to Sonos.

No comments:

Post a Comment