Thursday, September 21, 2017

New Products from Nest

Happened to be on Nest's website the other day and noticed that they are releasing a few new products.  I remember reading an article a few weeks back that they had some products in the pipeline and I guess this is it.  I have to say I am a bit disappointed.  The products they have released are either just upgrades to their existing products or their versions of a competitors product.  Nothing game changing like the original Nest Thermostat.

Nest Secure




Nest secure is their new do-it-yourself home security system.  I guess one of the benefits is ease of install so you don't have to hire a professional to install it.  This is typical with nest products.  I haven't found anywhere whether they offer professional monitoring which to me is a must have with a home security system.  To me this just looks like a rehash of some of the other do-it-yourself home security systems like SimplySafe.   But I guess if you have already invested in Nest cameras it may make sense to go with this security system.   Will be interesting to see how this sells.  At $500 for a starter kit it is not cheap.

Nest Cam IQ Outdoor Camera

Another new product announced was an outdoor version of their Nest IQ camera.  The one thing this camera has going for it is it is true HD 1080p quality.  But it does have to be hard wired and you need to purchase a nest aware subscription to access video history.  One camera is going to set you back $350 but you can get two pack for $590.  Not a bad price but the whole Nest aware subscription just turns me off.  Even though they are just 720p quality I think I will stick with my Arlo Pro Cameras.  They are completely wireless and no subscription needed and I get 7 days of history.

Nest Hello Doorbell




The final product that they released this week is a video doorbell.  To me this looks like a knockoff of the Ring doorbell.  It does seem to have some functionality that the Ring doesn't such as person detection even if they don't ring the doorbell and it will be HD quality.  The product will be released in Q1 2018 and there is no pricing info yet.

Overall I am a bit underwhelmed by these new products.  Nothing I have to have and nothing that is going tp disrupt any industry.  And still no new version of the Nest Protect.


No comments:

Post a Comment