Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Amazon Echo Spot

 

When Amazon released the Echo Spot a few months back I was intrigued.  As an Echo Show owner I love the functionality it provides and the Spot is almost $100 cheaper.  They seem to be marketing it as a product for the bedroom as an alarm clock alternative.  Initially I was sold.  Then I spoke to my wife about getting one to replace the alarm clock, she seemed intrigued at first until I mentioned the camera and then she changed her tune.  She did not want a product with a camera in the bedroom.  I told her we could turn the camera off but she did not want it, did not trust it, no way.  I guess I can't blame her.  You know someone is going to figure out how to hack them eventually.

So for now no Echo Spot for us.  I really would like to replace my 20 year old dumb alarm clock but there here are a couple factors that are kind of show stoppers for me:

  • The camera - people are freaked out by the drop-in feature and especially don't want people dropping in on their bedroom.  I know you can put a piece of tape over the camera lens but why buy a $130 product if you aren't going to use one of the key features.  Would be great if they would release a sub $100 version without a camera.
  • The Amazon/Google fight - When I first bought my Echo show I could watch YouTube videos. Now Google and Amazon are fighting and the customer loses.  They need to figure the issue out and stop hurting customers.
  • Battery Backup - If they are marketing the Echo Spot as an alarm clock alternative it should have all of the features of an alarm clock, like a battery backup.  This way if the power goes out I still hear my alarm.   Power outages don't happen very often in my area but the past couple weeks we have had numerous power outages due to snow storms.  Obviously most functionality would be lost without power and network connectivity but a battery running the clock and alarm would make the Spot a viable alternative to my alarm clock. 
I love smart products and look for every opportunity to try the latest products.  But for now the Spot is a no for us.  Maybe the 2nd generation will knock off some of the items on my wish list and I will eventually be a buyer.

1 comment: