Sunday, October 8, 2017

Amazon Alexa and Sonos Integration

I have been anxiously awaiting the release of the Sonos / Amazon Alexa integration.  It was released this last Wednesday along with the news that Sonos is releasing their own smart speaker.

Overall the integration is pretty good, nothing mind blowing, is just works as you would expect it to.  I attempted to set it up without any instructions and failed miserably.  Usually Sonos products are extremely simple to setup but when you are dealing with integration with other products things can get complicated.  Overall setup wasn't too bad.  It only took me 10 minutes or so one I fount the instructions online.  Sonos has a great instruction video below.


First you need to add the Sonos skill in the Alexa app.  You will then be prompted to log into your Sonos and Amazon accounts and give Alexa permission to control your Sonos system.  Next you will be prompted to discover devices in the Alexa app so it can find all of your Sonos speakers,  Then you can add the music services that Sonos supports to the Alexa app.  That is pretty much it.

You need to tell Alexa which speaker your would like to control but it works as you would expect.  You can use the following commands.

Play song or artist in a particular room
Volume up / Volume down
Pause
Stop
Next track
Previous track
Add a Station on Pandora

One disappointment is that I cannot control my music library on my computer.  Hopefully this functionality is coming as right now I can only control Pandora or TunedIn as I am not an Amazon Music subscriber. It is a nice start and works fine but I hope they keep adding functionality as time goes on.


No comments:

Post a Comment